RGP-13: Protocol Revenue Split

Summary

In RGP-12 [1] we discussed the asset to distribute protocol revenue in to RBN lockers. In this RGP we discuss the % of protocol revenue to distribute to RBN lockers, the rest going to the DAO treasury.

Proposal

We propose to start with 25% of protocol revenue to distribute to RBN lockers. We think this is a solid APY to start with. It corresponds to 36% APY to current RBN lockers (~5M RBN). If the APY becomes unattractive as more RBN holders lock, we have substantial room to increase the % of protocol revenues to distribute.

It is important to note that 36% is the average APY across all RBN lockers. Those who lock for longer will have a higher APY, all else equal.

Currently, circulating RBN supply is 51,586,165 [2] and annualized protocol revenue (in USD) is $7,270,000 [3].

We expect these APY’s to increase naturally once protocol revenue sharing is implemented as this will increase demand to lock RBN, increasing RBN price, which increases vault RBN emissions APY, which increases TVL, which will then increase premiums and protocol revenue as a result.

Voting

Each voter will be able to vote for 25% or 50% revenue split.

UPDATE: The team has reflected on the thoughts/comments in rgp-13 channel, and we have decided to bump up the protocol revenue allocation to rbn lockers to 50% from the get-go. We agree that 25% protocol revenue is quite small as more RBN gets locked. We also think that increasing locking APY should increase RBN price, which increases emissions APY, which increases TVL, which directly increases protocol revenue for the DAO and the RBN lockers. We are going to add the “50%” option to the proposal and let RBN holders decide.

References:

1. RGP-12: Protocol Revenue Distribution Asset
  2. Ribbon Finance price, RBN chart, and market cap | CoinGecko
  3. Ribbon Finance (RBN) | Dashboard | Token Terminal
1 Like

why not just do 100% of revenue to locked token and then dao collects its share with the supply of RBN tokens has in treasury?

2 Likes

The DAO has an overwhelming amount of RBN in the treasury. So a 100% revenue share but staked treasury would result in a much smaller revenue for genuine stakers

Good Evening Ken.

Thank you for your continued hard work.

How did the 25% come to be?

I don’t believe changing the fee sharing % after the APY becomes unattractive is a good idea. We should aim to set it at the rate which we think is the best longterm, or maybe set a predefined upgrade curve beforehand. When you suddenly change the %, you’re changing the fundamental RBN value. Changing fundamentals should be done sparingly and precisely and not just on the go.

2 Likes

This means I will vote for 25% if we believe this is the best longterm setting, but against it if we believe that number will become unattractive and we’ll just bump it up when needed.
In that case we should just set it higher to begin with.

1 Like

Agree with @0xRob’s viewpoints on this.

2 Likes

why not make it 100%. you need to beat your competitors to market, after all.

it seems counterproductive to engineer APY. From an economic perspective, your vaults and the community will ultimately drive the yield.

Even if you try to establish an APY of 36%, sell pressure will push the effective yield way down so the 36% APY target doesn’t matter.

If you want to invest in the ecosystem, I say 100% to stakers and grow the treasury by increasing the value of RBN

Thanks for the update on this @ken.
I will be voting for the 50% revenue split, this will give us a boost in RBN locking and also allow for enough room on the protocol side to invest in further growth with the other 50%.
I assume under this proposal the treasury would not be locking any RBN?

Also going to throw this out there:
This proposal will normally create some immediate market demand for RBN to lock. It would have been a great opportunity to offer some of the RBN in the treasury to the market in a locked form at a discount. A veRBN bond. I think both increasing the circulating supply and also diversifying the treasury is something we should think about.

1 Like